I'm currently finishing up The Battle of the Labyrinth, reading a book called Matched, and reading a book called The Compound. Matched is about a girl waiting to get matched with her lifelong mate. What happens is that she gets paired with her best friend. That was a peculiar situation for the people to have happen. The Compound is about a boy and his family living in an underground safe and secure cellar. They are living there because a nuclear bomb on land. One day a message was sent to the boy that says to come out on land. He doesn't know if he should or that he should ignore
Hi Maggie, I love Compound! I thought it was such an intriguing idea--the family, what they did to survive, they role everyone had to play. I don't want to say too much about what happens, but can't wait to discuss it with you when you finish. One question: is it difficult for you to read these all at once? I'm just wondering.
I finished reading the Mythology by Edith Hamilton recently. Like the title of this book, the book is about greek mythology and other mythologies of other countries. Even though I already learned mythology, I started to read it again with another author's book. It starts with the titans and the gods' appearance and goes on with many heroes' journey such as hercules, odyssey, theseus, and so on.. Also it includes many stories of how humans or nymphs became flowers. It was very interesting to read this book. Since I already read one of the mythology books, this time I was able to think more deeply about the characters and understand the authors perspective better. It was AWESOME!!!
Hi, I think Mythology is a great book to help give you some background and additional information for some of the fiction books you may read. It's good to try a different genre like this, too!
I'm just started reading I Am Number Four, by Pittacus Lore. It's about a guy who is an alien, and is trying to fit in on earth. It's getting harder for him to fit in because he's beginning to want to stay in one location for a longer period of time than anywhere else. The reason that he keeps moving is because Henri, his cêpan, is worried about an evil alien race destroying the good aliens. The good aliens are the Loric, and the main character is one of them. So far, it's a great book, and I can't wait to continue the series.
I'm very close to finishing Starstruck by Rachel Shukert. Starstruck is set in the 1930's, and is about a girl named Margaret, who has dreams of being a star. Along with two other hopefuls named Gabby and Amanda, Margaret tries to become the biggest star in America. But soon, she realizes that fame is not what she thought it would be, and that people will do anything, however terrible the task may be, to reach their goals in Hollywood. This book has been an entertaining read, filled with lots of drama and plot twists.
Julianne, This book sounds interesting! How different is her life since it is set in the 30s? Do you feel the character's experience translates to today? I'm looking forward to talking to you about it!
I have recently finished a science encyclopedia, it was full of amazing facts! Now, I am reading the book Disney After Dark. This book is about a boy named Finn, and ever since he was small Disney has always amazed him it almost felt magical, and it is, and Finn is about to find that out. Finn had currently got job as a D.H.I (Disney Host Interactive and Daylight Hologram Imaging) in Disney with four others(Carlene, Philby, Willa, Maybeck, and Finn). Sooner or later he receives what he thinks is a dream, It takes place in Magic Kingdom at night. In his dream he isn't exactly human he is glowing and slightly translucent. There is also man named Wayne, he claims to have known Walt Disney. He warns Finn about something, or someone powerful he calls the Overtakers.
Right now I am reading Divergent by Veronica Roth. It is a fiction book based on a girl who lives in a distopian society divided into different groups or "Factions". Each of the factions has a different belief and a different style of living. For example, there is a faction called Dauntless that strives in bravery and being able to take care of and defend yourself. There is another faction called Erudite, that strives in intelligence. There are a total of 5 different factions. Once a year there is a ceremony, where everyone who turned 16 that year has to choose what faction they want to be in for the rest of their life. All the 16 year olds have to decide whether to stay with their families or betray their faction. There is a lot of suspense in this book and you are always having to turn the page.
Cadence, I really enjoyed Divergent! Can you imagine having your life laid out in front of you that way--no choice in career, etc.? I don't want to say too much because I'm not sure how far into the book you are, but I look forward to discussing it with you.
I just started the book I Am Number Four, by Pittacus Lore. It is about innocent aliens from a place called Lorien, that had to retreat to earth when evil aliens called Mogodorians started hunting them down, and destroyed their home (Planet Lorien). The aliens look and speak like humans, but they are not humans for sure. The main character of this book, came to earth and took the name of John Smith. He is part of something called Garde. Garde are citizens of Lorien. They have powers called legacies. There started off with 9 of them, but the Mogodorians killed 3 of them. In order from 1, 2, and 3. John Smith knows that they are coming for him next. He has a Cêpan (guardian). Cêpan are citizens of Lorien that don't have legacies, but they are assinged and responsible for helping the Garde master their abilities. Throughout the book, mastering their legacies are important, so that the Garde can defeat the Mogodorians and restore Lorien to its original state. I loved this book from the beginning because there was a backstory. It also included action from the start. It is a very intriguing book.
CJ, You include great details about the book! If you read others' posts, you'll notice you have a few classmates reading this book as well, so I hope you have some great discussions about the book.
I am reading a book called "Beyonders" by Brandon Mull. I just started it yesterday and have hardly read at all so I am only past the prologue. The only character in the prologue is a nameless, blind prince who has sworn himself into silence. The meaning of his silence becomes apparent when the author describes that he is in a dungeon and is being almost constantly interrogated about the secrets he holds about his own kingdom. He doesn't trust himself to speak, in fear that the have intoxicated him with something to loosen his tongue about his kingdom's secrets. So far it is a mysterious book that has made me want continue, and I can't wait to find out who the prince is and how he got captured later in the book.
I am reading a book called Reached which is the last book in the Matched trilogy. It is a dystopian book with a romantic undercurrent. This final installment of the series is told from three points of view: Cassia, her match Xander, and the person who she truly loves, Ky. I personally dislike the three way narration because it seems unnecessary. In the second book of this series, Crossed, I enjoyed the way that Cassia and Ky switched points of view, as a lot of the time they had different things to say, different opinions, and each of them wast actively seeking out the other one because they were separated. I wouldn't mind Cassia and Xander being narrators in Reached, but I feel that Ky doesn't need to be one. He does provide some information that is important to the plot, but everything he says could easily be put into a conversation with Cassia, or a note passed to Cassia. He may be a main character but a lot of the time I feel that his narration is simply a filler between Cassia's and Xander's. But other than the narration I like this book. I feel that the plot is a lot more interesting than the last two books. Things really start to happen. Now The Society is collapsing under a disease they created that was meant to poison their Enemy. The Rising, an organized group of rebels with a leader named The Pilot, have spent a while trying to create a cure, anticipating this outcome from this man-made disease. In the part I am currently reading they have successfully taken over The Society and have distributed the cure to every citizen. But now there are two patients that are displaying symptoms that have not been seen before. Now the question being asked is: Did the virus mutate? Or did the cure cause this?
Roshini, I love the way you take a critical look at the book, especially the narration. Sometimes varying narrators can add to the text, but, you're right, it can be unneeded distraction. Good job!
I am reading Surrender by Sonya Hartnett. I have not gone too far into the book because I have just started it. But the book is about a man named Gabriel. He is dying in his childhood home, nobody can stop it, and he recaps his adventurous life. The chapters switch between Gabriel and his doppelgänger, Finnback. I think this book will be an interesting read, because (from the blurb), Gabriel does something very very bad in his life that changes it forever.
Over the weekend I started The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. So far the book really pulled me in, and I was very intrigued by the way it was written. I didn't understand why Lucy kept going into the forrest more, and more when she just didn't go back it was dangerous! I know she is young, but shouldn't she know not to follow a man that looks like a goat? I like the book, but I am confused.
My independent reading book is currently "The Count of Monte Christo" by Alexandre Dumas. It's a story set in post-Napoleonic France about a lucky young sailor named Edmond Dantes. He has everything: a beautiful lady he's about to marry, great family, and lots of money, but his wife-to-be's other jealous lovers hatch a plot to accuse him of something he didn't do. Written with adventure, suspense, and old English words, the book is lots of fun (but a little tricky) to read. I was especially surprised by how many humorous lines the author was able to insert into such a serious story. I really recommend this LONG book.
Hello Mrs. Mckain, I am re-reading and starting The Giver. It's about an 11 year old boy named Jonas. At his 12th ceremony he becomes the receiver of memories he gets different memories including colors, black, blue, etc. and feelings including sunshine, family, and love, but not all of them are good like hate, loss, and hunger, his father is a Nurturer and he sees some things that change his life. Jonas reminds me of a friend. I'm also reading this book because i want to finish the series.
So far in my book, Prodigy by Marie Lu, Day and June are on a hunt for the Patriots. The reasons for the hunt were for both medical help, and help to find Day’s brother Eden. They also wanted to make sure their friend Tess was ok. It hasn't been the easiest job, especially with one of them badly injured and a “criminal”. The group had already made their way to L.A., all they had left to do was sneak around and find the Patriots. Seems easy enough, right? Except for the tons of cameras and guards all around. On top of that, if they ever wanted to find and save Eden, they had no other choice but to work for the Patriots. So they were given the job of assassinating the Elector Primo.
I'm currently finishing up The Battle of the Labyrinth, reading a book called Matched, and reading a book called The Compound. Matched is about a girl waiting to get matched with her lifelong mate. What happens is that she gets paired with her best friend. That was a peculiar situation for the people to have happen. The Compound is about a boy and his family living in an underground safe and secure cellar. They are living there because a nuclear bomb on land. One day a message was sent to the boy that says to come out on land. He doesn't know if he should or that he should ignore
ReplyDeleteHi Maggie,
DeleteI love Compound! I thought it was such an intriguing idea--the family, what they did to survive, they role everyone had to play. I don't want to say too much about what happens, but can't wait to discuss it with you when you finish. One question: is it difficult for you to read these all at once? I'm just wondering.
I finished reading the Mythology by Edith Hamilton recently. Like the title of this book, the book is about greek mythology and other mythologies of other countries. Even though I already learned mythology, I started to read it again with another author's book. It starts with the titans and the gods' appearance and goes on with many heroes' journey such as hercules, odyssey, theseus, and so on.. Also it includes many stories of how humans or nymphs became flowers. It was very interesting to read this book. Since I already read one of the mythology books, this time I was able to think more deeply about the characters and understand the authors perspective better. It was AWESOME!!!
ReplyDeleteHi,
DeleteI think Mythology is a great book to help give you some background and additional information for some of the fiction books you may read. It's good to try a different genre like this, too!
I'm just started reading I Am Number Four, by Pittacus Lore. It's about a guy who is an alien, and is trying to fit in on earth. It's getting harder for him to fit in because he's beginning to want to stay in one location for a longer period of time than anywhere else. The reason that he keeps moving is because Henri, his cêpan, is worried about an evil alien race destroying the good aliens. The good aliens are the Loric, and the main character is one of them. So far, it's a great book, and I can't wait to continue the series.
ReplyDeleteSimon,
DeleteIt sounds like an interesting book; I know the basics of the story. What compels you most?
I'm very close to finishing Starstruck by Rachel Shukert. Starstruck is set in the 1930's, and is about a girl named Margaret, who has dreams of being a star. Along with two other hopefuls named Gabby and Amanda, Margaret tries to become the biggest star in America. But soon, she realizes that fame is not what she thought it would be, and that people will do anything, however terrible the task may be, to reach their goals in Hollywood. This book has been an entertaining read, filled with lots of drama and plot twists.
ReplyDeleteJulianne,
DeleteThis book sounds interesting! How different is her life since it is set in the 30s? Do you feel the character's experience translates to today? I'm looking forward to talking to you about it!
I have recently finished a science encyclopedia, it was full of amazing facts! Now, I am reading the book Disney After Dark. This book is about a boy named Finn, and ever since he was small Disney has always amazed him it almost felt magical, and it is, and Finn is about to find that out. Finn had currently got job as a D.H.I (Disney Host Interactive and Daylight Hologram Imaging) in Disney with four others(Carlene, Philby, Willa, Maybeck, and Finn). Sooner or later he receives what he thinks is a dream, It takes place in Magic Kingdom at night. In his dream he isn't exactly human he is glowing and slightly translucent. There is also man named Wayne, he claims to have known Walt Disney. He warns Finn about something, or someone powerful he calls the Overtakers.
ReplyDeleteKayla,
DeleteThat sounds cool. Is the book written by someone who worked at Disney? Are there facts woven into the story?
Right now I am reading Divergent by Veronica Roth. It is a fiction book based on a girl who lives in a distopian society divided into different groups or "Factions". Each of the factions has a different belief and a different style of living. For example, there is a faction called Dauntless that strives in bravery and being able to take care of and defend yourself. There is another faction called Erudite, that strives in intelligence. There are a total of 5 different factions. Once a year there is a ceremony, where everyone who turned 16 that year has to choose what faction they want to be in for the rest of their life. All the 16 year olds have to decide whether to stay with their families or betray their faction. There is a lot of suspense in this book and you are always having to turn the page.
ReplyDeleteCadence,
DeleteI really enjoyed Divergent! Can you imagine having your life laid out in front of you that way--no choice in career, etc.? I don't want to say too much because I'm not sure how far into the book you are, but I look forward to discussing it with you.
http://englinshir2.blogspot.com/
DeleteHey Cadence,
This is the spot for your class. Bookmark this address for next time. Thanks!
I just started the book I Am Number Four, by Pittacus Lore. It is about innocent aliens from a place called Lorien, that had to retreat to earth when evil aliens called Mogodorians started hunting them down, and destroyed their home (Planet Lorien). The aliens look and speak like humans, but they are not humans for sure. The main character of this book, came to earth and took the name of John Smith. He is part of something called Garde. Garde are citizens of Lorien. They have powers called legacies. There started off with 9 of them, but the Mogodorians killed 3 of them. In order from 1, 2, and 3. John Smith knows that they are coming for him next. He has a Cêpan (guardian). Cêpan are citizens of Lorien that don't have legacies, but they are assinged and responsible for helping the Garde master their abilities. Throughout the book, mastering their legacies are important, so that the Garde can defeat the Mogodorians and restore Lorien to its original state. I loved this book from the beginning because there was a backstory. It also included action from the start. It is a very intriguing book.
ReplyDeleteCJ,
DeleteYou include great details about the book! If you read others' posts, you'll notice you have a few classmates reading this book as well, so I hope you have some great discussions about the book.
I am reading a book called "Beyonders" by Brandon Mull. I just started it yesterday and have hardly read at all so I am only past the prologue. The only character in the prologue is a nameless, blind prince who has sworn himself into silence. The meaning of his silence becomes apparent when the author describes that he is in a dungeon and is being almost constantly interrogated about the secrets he holds about his own kingdom. He doesn't trust himself to speak, in fear that the have intoxicated him with something to loosen his tongue about his kingdom's secrets. So far it is a mysterious book that has made me want continue, and I can't wait to find out who the prince is and how he got captured later in the book.
ReplyDeletehttp://englinshir2.blogspot.com/
DeleteHey Brian,
This is your class' blog, not this one. Try to cut and paste the address listed above.
Brian,
DeleteWow! You really have me intrigued with your description! Great job. What do you think will happen next?
Brian,
DeleteWow! You really have me intrigued with your description. What do you think will happen next?
I am reading a book called Reached which is the last book in the Matched trilogy. It is a dystopian book with a romantic undercurrent. This final installment of the series is told from three points of view: Cassia, her match Xander, and the person who she truly loves, Ky. I personally dislike the three way narration because it seems unnecessary. In the second book of this series, Crossed, I enjoyed the way that Cassia and Ky switched points of view, as a lot of the time they had different things to say, different opinions, and each of them wast actively seeking out the other one because they were separated. I wouldn't mind Cassia and Xander being narrators in Reached, but I feel that Ky doesn't need to be one. He does provide some information that is important to the plot, but everything he says could easily be put into a conversation with Cassia, or a note passed to Cassia. He may be a main character but a lot of the time I feel that his narration is simply a filler between Cassia's and Xander's. But other than the narration I like this book. I feel that the plot is a lot more interesting than the last two books. Things really start to happen. Now The Society is collapsing under a disease they created that was meant to poison their Enemy. The Rising, an organized group of rebels with a leader named The Pilot, have spent a while trying to create a cure, anticipating this outcome from this man-made disease. In the part I am currently reading they have successfully taken over The Society and have distributed the cure to every citizen. But now there are two patients that are displaying symptoms that have not been seen before. Now the question being asked is: Did the virus mutate? Or did the cure cause this?
ReplyDeleteRoshini,
DeleteI love the way you take a critical look at the book, especially the narration. Sometimes varying narrators can add to the text, but, you're right, it can be unneeded distraction. Good job!
Hi,
DeleteI'm using this as a test.
I am reading Surrender by Sonya Hartnett. I have not gone too far into the book because I have just started it. But the book is about a man named Gabriel. He is dying in his childhood home, nobody can stop it, and he recaps his adventurous life. The chapters switch between Gabriel and his doppelgänger, Finnback. I think this book will be an interesting read, because (from the blurb), Gabriel does something very very bad in his life that changes it forever.
ReplyDeleteCharan,
DeleteIt does sound interesting. This is a new book to me, so I look forward to discussing it with you!
Over the weekend I started The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. So far the book really pulled me in, and I was very intrigued by the way it was written. I didn't understand why Lucy kept going into the forrest more, and more when she just didn't go back it was dangerous! I know she is young, but shouldn't she know not to follow a man that looks like a goat? I like the book, but I am confused.
ReplyDeleteMy independent reading book is currently "The Count of Monte Christo" by Alexandre Dumas. It's a story set in post-Napoleonic France about a lucky young sailor named Edmond Dantes. He has everything: a beautiful lady he's about to marry, great family, and lots of money, but his wife-to-be's other jealous lovers hatch a plot to accuse him of something he didn't do. Written with adventure, suspense, and old English words, the book is lots of fun (but a little tricky) to read. I was especially surprised by how many humorous lines the author was able to insert into such a serious story. I really recommend this LONG book.
ReplyDeleteHello Mrs. Mckain, I am re-reading and starting The Giver. It's about an 11 year old boy named Jonas. At his 12th ceremony he becomes the receiver of memories he gets different memories including colors, black, blue, etc. and feelings including sunshine, family, and love, but not all of them are good like hate, loss, and hunger, his father is a Nurturer and he sees some things that change his life. Jonas reminds me of a friend. I'm also reading this book because i want to finish the series.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSo far in my book, Prodigy by Marie Lu, Day and June are on a hunt for the Patriots. The reasons for the hunt were for both medical help, and help to find Day’s brother Eden. They also wanted to make sure their friend Tess was ok. It hasn't been the easiest job, especially with one of them badly injured and a “criminal”. The group had already made their way to L.A., all they had left to do was sneak around and find the Patriots. Seems easy enough, right? Except for the tons of cameras and guards all around. On top of that, if they ever wanted to find and save Eden, they had no other choice but to work for the Patriots. So they were given the job of assassinating the Elector Primo.
ReplyDelete