Friday, October 17, 2014

Blog #4 From what you've read so far, make predictions about what will happen next and explain what in the text makes you think it will happen.

33 comments:

  1. Right now I am reading Insurgent, the second book in the Divergent Trilogy, by Veronica Roth. Currently Tris, Tobias, and a few others have been taken in by the faction-less, and are trying to make their way to dauntless headquarters so they can stop the mind simulation that some Dauntless members are under. I predict that the faction-less people will betray Tris and Tobias because it is clear that they do not like them, judging by how the two groups act around each other. The faction-less will likely tell some of the leaders from Erudite that they are trying to stop what Erudite is doing. This is a really suspenseful book and I am enjoying the action and cliffhangers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this trilogy! I look forward to hearing what you discover.

      Delete
  2. Right now I’m reading a book called Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry. The main character Kira is in her new place. Kira’s parents have died by really sad reasons and her teacher just died by old age. One day in the night she hears a little girl named Joe crying downstairs. Kira goes downstairs to talk to the sad girl, but the door is locked. The next day Kira goes to her friend Thomas and soon finds out that Thomas as a kid carved a key to all the doors. I predict that Kira and Thomas will talk to Joe, but when leaving will get caught. I believe Kira’s guardian, Jamison, will catch Kira and Thomas because in this story, Jamison has been able to find put more things then Kira and Thomas, Jamison is very smart and I believe that if Jamison catches Thomas and Kira then It will be trouble. I enjoy this mysterious book and can’t wait to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great predictions! What makes you think this is what will happen?

      Delete
  3. Right now I'm reading Jane Eyre, an autobiography wrote by the author Charlotte Bronte. In this story, the main character is Jane Eyre. Jane Eyre goes through many internal conflicts and external conflicts. The part I am reading is when Jane Eyre graduates Lowood school which is a boarding school for girl orphans and goes to Thornfield Hall to work as a governess of a child. While working as a governess Jane meets Mr. Lochester, the owner of Thornfield Hall. Jane starts to feel a strong relationship between her and Mr. Lochester, but she notices that there are other women who bonds with Mr. Lochester. In my opinion, I think that Jane would strongly fall in love with Mr. Lochester later on, and Mr. Lochester would accept Jane as a friend even though Jane is not wealthy or royal like other people around him. I also think that Jane would go through more conflicts in her life and experience bad luck, such as Mrs. Reed coming to see her or not being able to get along with people around her. I’m looking forward to read the book farther and find out what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you mean Mr. Rochester. He's a romantic hero to many! He's not actually royal, but definitely in a different class than she is.

      Delete
  4. I just finished reading Where She Went by Gayle Forman. Where She Went is the sequel to If I Stay, and it’s about Adam, a famous musician who runs into his old girlfriend, a famous cellist. While reading the book, I noticed that Adam had anxiety and he obsessed over why his old girlfriend, Mia, stopped contacting him. I predicted that Adam would eventually have a nervous breakdown in front of Mia because of the stress of his fame, his loneliness, and his need to know why Mia left him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! A nervous breakdown..that's intense. What leads you to believe that? Is his character very emotional throughout the novel?

      Delete
  5. Right now I am reading Four by Veronica Roth. I have not been able to read it in quite a while. I am 3/4 done with the book. I am at the part where Zeke had taken a late night shift in the control room. He saw something happen on the cameras in the transfer dorm. He comes and tells Four and Four automaticly wonders if something happend to her. Her as in Tris. I think that when he gets to the dorms and it's not her he is relifed and doesn't care as much because he really cares about her. You know that he really cares about her if the first thought he had was if she got hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes a character's actions let us know how he or she feels about another character. It sounds like this book is telling you things from Four's perspective, and I think we've discussed that during reading time. Do you enjoy getting that other side? Don't forgot to proofread your posts, please.

      Delete
  6. This blog entry is for a book I am about halfway done reading: The Compound by S. A. Bodeen, a science fiction book about a family and shelter during a nuclear war. Their billionaire father had been building an underground complex for years and stocked it with everything needed to live in luxury for years underground while everyone else suffered during the attack. I predict that the nuclear war never happened, and the father is keeping them underground because he is mentally ill. This is because Eli was able to get a wireless Internet signal on his laptop, and his father came up with a story about how a government who went underground might have "spread the Internet like a blanket, so survivors could contact each other.” (Bodeen, 85-86). Her father then proceeded to ask for the computer back so he could remove the "practically useless" Internet capability, and told him that he had “wired the Compound for communication.” (Bodeen, 83). I predict that Eli’s father is not sane and that he will try to prevent Eli and the rest of the family from escaping to the most likely harmless world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't really classify this a science fiction, because there aren't specific technologies and elements of the future incorporated. Here's a great definition of the science fiction genre: http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/lesson_images/lesson927/SciFiDefinition.pdf.

      Delete
  7. I have recently finished reading the book The Blood of Olympus, by Rick Riordan.
    Before I finished this book, there were quite a few pieces that could have unpredictable endings such as how the wars would end. There was one war between the Greeks and Romans, and one against the Earth Mother, Gaea. The part that made me think where the steps the characters planned in order to win all these wars at once, because one mess up, and in a matter of seconds, the world might end. I thought that the fact that each character did not want his/ her friend to die may interfere, however instead they didn't have that happen; they had to focus on the fact that if they did not make a sacrifice then no one would live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Was the book surprising overall? If I remember correctly, this was the last book of the series. Was you happy with how it ended?

      Delete
  8. I am reading the first book in the Mercy Falls trilogy, Shiver by Maggie Stefvater. I am currently at the part where Grace is in the hospital after being attacked by Shelby the wolf. She is currently angry with her parents, and is just fed up with their behavior. There have now been many scenes that indicate Grace's irritation with her parents, and show that all she wants is for them to be normal, responsible, and attentive. She has lashed out a couple times at them for making her the adult, and not giving her the affection she needs. From what I've read so far, I can predict that sometime in the near future they will have a fight that could change their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this book not only deals with the developing love relationship, but Shelby growing up and how this changes her relationship with her parents.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am currently re-reading The Blood of Olympus, by Rick Riordan. This is the fifth and final installment of the Heroes of Olympus series. The plot of this book includes the conclusion of the fourth Heroes of Olympus novel. Right now, there is two sides too what our developed characters are doing. The crew-members of the Argo II, Greek and Roman, have set out to Athens to obliterate Gaea, her enormous army of superior giants, and her malevolent plans for the demigods aboard the Argo II. This is their ultimate goal. On the other side of things, Nico, Reyna, and Coach Hedge are attempting to transport the Athena Parthenos back to Camp-Half Blood using shadow travel. Where I’m in the book, Nico and the others are being emphasized and their journey are being discovered by the reader. They recently have been warned that Orion and his pack of wolves are coming to stop them, but they underwent an unexpected meeting with Lycaon, the first werewolf, and this is because Orion employed him to assist him in his hunt. Orion had ask him to detain them so that when he arrived he could drag them out of existence. After this occurs, Lycaon plans to spill their blood across the sacred ground they are on and mark it as his territory for ages to come. I have read this book already, but I will predict the actions I thought would occur when I first read this particular scene. I believe that they will use their powers to stall and figure out a way to retreat. I believe someone or something will come to their aid or distract Lycaon so they can escape. They can’t hurt Lycaon because they needed more silver and fire to terminate him. This part of the book was very intriguing because Nico, Reyna, and Coach Hedge had to problem solve there way out of this mess, and Lycaon was just balancing there will complete power over them resting in his arms... for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cj for your when you said it was the final book of The Hero's of Olympus series. Rick Riordan just announced that there will be another book. Also it will be published on August 18, 2015 (Percy's Birthday)

      Delete
    2. Well-written, but since you've read it already, next time, feel free to e-mail me and ask for a different type of a question. Where you happy with the ending of the novel? Potentially of the series (based on Maggie's comment)?

      Delete
  11. I am reading a book called Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry. So far, I've read to the part where Kira's court case was settled and she had to move to another place and assigned a job to continue on a robe that her dead mother started. At the new place that she is staying in, she meets a friendly companion called Matt. He lives next to her and is a wood worker. This is where I left off. With what I had read, I think that in the future, Matt will somehow help Kira escape or do something because of his characteristics and kindness towards Kira.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You offer good insight into the character. Do you think you'll continue with the series?

      Delete
  12. I just started reading The House of Hades by Rick Riordan. I’m at the scene in the book where Percy and Annabeth are attacked by empousai in Tartarus while heading toward the Doors of Death. While these events are occurring, Percy and Annabeth’s friends are searching for the Doors of Death in the mortal world. I believe that both Percy, Annabeth, and their friends will make the side of the Doors of Death they’re on. “The Prophecy of Seven” is a poem/prophecy within the book that predicts the events of this quest and one of its lines says that foes will bear arms to the Doors of Death, which makes me think that the Percy, Annabeth, and the rest of the demi-gods will get there. Some of the previous events in “The Prophecy of Seven” have already come to pass, so I believe that the rest of them will as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the word prophecy in the title helps with the prediction question! Prophecy leads you there. It sounds like you are really enjoying book. I'm glad to here it.

      Delete
  13. I am reading Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan. Right now Leo Valdez (son of Hephaestus) is trying to create a kind of compass to get him back to and island (Ogygia) where he met a girl he fell in love with (Calypso). I think he will be able to create the machine to get him back to the island although the legend is that no man finds this island twice. The reason I think he will be able to create this machine is because he was able to make the head of a mechanical dragon work again even after it was smashed beyond repair. He also built a gigantic ship that could fly and sail on water. That is why I think he will be the one man to ever find Ogygia again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just continued the book Marked written by PC Cast and Kristen Cast, and I have made so many predictions while reading. In one scene of the book, the protagonist, Zoey Redbird, had met her new roommate in the House of Night, which is the “vampire school” that she attends. After they had spent some time together, I predicted that they would most likely become good friends. Zoey and her new roommate have a lot in common and they are both pretty new to the House of Night. When a teenage girl that is Zoey’s age first welcomed Zoey into her dorm, and I predicted that the young women who greeted her would turn out to be a kind and nice character. As I continued the book, I noticed that I was wrong. Currently I predict that Zoey will find the House of Night very exciting, and she’ll end up feeling at home in the book. I also predict that Zoey will make new friendly and non-friendly relationships with some of the characters. I can’t wait to spend more time reading this book and to make more predictions along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you enjoying the book more? Have you been able to finish it? Are you predictions accurate?

      Delete
  16. I am reading The Lord of Opium by Nancy Farmer. It is the sequel to the first book, The House of the Scorpion. Right now, Matt has just found out that he is the heir to the throne of Opium. Opium is a large country between the US-Mexican border. Until now, Matt just thought he was a clone that no-one ever liked. I think that Matt will do something about the eejit situation. Eejits were people who were caught trying to sneak through Opium, into the US. The people would have chips in their brains, and they would be like robots. Matt will do a great deal to Opium, later in the book. I am sure of it. I will keep reading to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What types of things do you think he will do? Can you include some specifics? It sounds like you are enjoying the book!

      Delete
  17. I am currently reading Catching Jordan by Miranda Kennally. It is about a girl football player who falls in love with one of her teammates but then she realizes that she has feelings for her best friend too. What I think is going to happen is that, she will fall for her best friend. I also think she will get into the college that she wants to get in. Also when she starts to date her best friend, it will seem weird but then it will be normal but it won't change a lot of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds like an interesting book. Can you tell me a bit more about what you mean by "weird, but then it will be normal?"

      Delete