Describe a scene in your IR novel you can easily visualize. Note the title and author in your entry. What does the author do that makes it easy for you to picture what's occurring?
I'm am reading a book called My Summer in Pink and Green by Lisa Greenwald. I'm at the beginning right now. There is a scene in the beginning where the main character Lucy is sipping lemonade on the porch with her friends when her sister rolls up in a car with her friends. Lucy runs over to the car with her friends to greet her sister. This makes vivid imagery for me because it shows a girl running with sweet lemonade to this car to her sister. I have done this before so it's easier for me to imagine this.
I haven't gotten to read as much of my independent reading book as I would have liked to, so I hope this weekend I will get to read more. In my book, Dancer, Daughter, Traitor, Spy by Elizabeth Kiem, one of my favorite imagery scenes is when Marina is describing what it is like to live in her new apartment in New York. When she looks around the living room in her apartment she describes it as "half the size of her old bedroom." I can really see her standing in a small cramped apartment/room, then when she hits play on the boom box I can see her walking over and pressing the play button. A quote that kind of finishes this whole scene unravel before my eyes is " I press PLAY. The music doesn't really boom. It envelops me like a blanket that I want to pull over my head." That is one of my favorite quotes because I can see her sitting on the couch listening to music while thinking about the life she left behind and her kind of staring out into space wondering what is happening in Moscow right now. I can connect with her because I often get lost in my favorite songs and favorite artist like she did and I also think about my life choices and whether or not I think they were my best option.
A scene which you can easily visualize is the scene when the animals start a harvest after Napoleon becomes the leader of the Animal Farm.
Animals waking up to the loud, honk-like sound of Squealer’s alarm is easy to imagine. The animals living on the Animal Farm start their work on the windmill and the harvest to be prepared for winter. While the animals work, they face many obstacles such as cracking the rocks, but the animals overcome their problems by sharing their brilliant, spark-like ideas to solve them. Collecting small rocks to add on to the windmill, animals start to get exhausted. However, they depend on each other to finish the task remembering the maxim, “Work harder”(74). Tired, but trying their best under Napoleon and Squealer’s supervision and leadership, the animals get more encouraged. Especially Boxer, a strong male work horse, shoulders most of the heavy tasks compared to other animals. He does all the hard tasks that some of the animals would not risk themselves to do. With the hard work of Boxer and the other animals on the farm, the day quickly passes and night falls on the farm. This scene of Animal Farm by George Orwell, helps you to visualize an image of the animals working hard to make the farm more successful.
I'm reading a book called Boundless, and it is by Kenneth Oppel. It is a book about a group of railroad employees trying to get the dead railroad owners fortune, and the main character, who's name is Will, has the only key to the room where the railroad owners valuables are. A scene I can easily visualize is when the main character is walking through the woods, and sees one of the rebelling employees pinning the guard to the vault that holds the key too the fortune, and killing him because. But, at this time, the guard was drunk and had dropped the key, and the main character found it. Now the rebelling employees are after the main character. This scene was easy to visualize, because the author describes how when Will shouted to the rebelling employee, "I have the key," that his face turned red and he thrusted himself towards Will. The author also described how the knife was drawn out, and how it was buried into the employee's neck, with almost a little to much detail. I am really enjoying this book and it was hard for me to choose just one part, because the entire book has so much detail.
I'm reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman. One of the scenes that I can easily visualize is when Risa and Connor are put in yet another safe house. "Finally, they're dumped in a huge, empty warehouse in a thundering air-traffic zone. Cheap realty for hiding unwanted kids. It's a spartan building with a corrugated steel roof that shakes so badly when a plane passes overhead she half expects it to collapse"(Shusterman 141). Shusterman helps me visualize this scene by adding lots of details to the description of the safe house. In my mind, I can clearly see the huge, plain warehouse with a shaking roof.
I just finished reading Maze Runner by James Dashner. The book is full of good imagery, but one part I could really visualize is when Thomas saw Ben during the Changing. James Dashner describes Ben's symptoms extensively, "Tight, rigid cords of sickly green veins webbed across the boy's body, and limbs like ropes under his skin." (25 Kindle). This gives me the picture of a boy lying in a bed with green veins showing through his skin. James Dashner describes this scene very well and what helped me understand this sentence is his use of very descriptive words, and it gives me a very detailed understanding what the Changing looks like.
I am still reading Alex Rider Point Blank by Anthony Horowitz because I haven't had much time lately to read. In the book, I can easily visualize the action-packed scene when Alex Rider is being interrogated by on of the French Ladies in his latest mission. The author helps me visualize how the French Lady asks him numerous questions and Alex Rider frantically trying to remember what was in the document that the head of M16 gave him with all the details that he was supposed to remember.
I am reading the book Four by Veronica Roth. I can easily visualize one of the scenes at the beginning of The Initiate. In this scene Four says how the training room smells like sweat, shoes, and dust. He also says that every time he punches at the punching bag his knuckles sting because fighting people during initiation has made them spit. I can visualize this scene very well for two reasons. One is the author does a really good job describing surroundings. The second reason is because I have read the entire Divergent series plus I saw the movie so I didn't need the author to describe what the training room looked like. In this scene I can picture Four standing in the middle of the training room punching a punching bag and gritting his teeth every time his knuckles and the punching bag connect.
I recently re-read the book if i stay by Gayle Forman, and since I am not too far into my current independent reading book, I decided to pick a couple scenes from this one instead. The first scene I picked was the one where Mia described how she looked after her audition for Juilliard. She described herself as, "Panting, and my legs shaking from pressing together so hard."(p.6). I could easily fix that image of her in my head and I thought that description (though short) was true and sums up how a person feels after a grueling performance, because that is how I feel after playing in a piano competition or jury. The second scene that provided an excellent visual, was the scene of the car crash. Though there were many amazing lines written to describe this scene, my favorite was this one, "There was so much noise. A symphony of grinding, a chorus of popping, an aria of exploding, and finally, the sad clapping of hard metal cutting into soft trees." That was a vivid description of not only what happened and how it looked, but also how it sounded. I felt as though I was actually there, experiencing what the characters experienced.
Right now I am reading “The Count of Monte Cristo” by Alexandre Dumas. The book is about Edmond Dantes, who is wrongly accused and thrown into prison for fourteen years, when he escapes and sets out to exact revenge against the three men who threw him in prison - starting with a man named Danglars. Since his imprisonment, Danglars had built up an enormous fortune in 19th century Paris. Edmond, disguised as “The Count of Monte Cristo,” uses a few well-placed telegraph messages to destroy Danglars’ bonds at the stock exchange, and causes him to go broke. All of this leads up to that scene which I can easily visualize: when Danglars takes out his anger on his wife. His objective throughout the scene is to make himself feel as though his wife’s bad sense had ruined him, and hers was to keep her supply of money coming from her husband. The author made excellent use of insults to convey the characters’ emotions (“'You money-minded fool!’ yelled Madame Danglars.”). I also enjoyed the author’s use of descriptive adjectives in setting up the scene, where a room in an opulent mansion is described as dingy and gaudy because of the moods of Danglars and his wife, which definitely gave me a more vivid picture of the scene. I also liked the descriptions of the characters’ faces (“Danglars’ face turned as red as a turnip”) and Madame Danglars’ monologue about what would happen to her wardrobe if her husband stopped giving her money. After throwing Edmond into prison, they definitely deserved this, and the scene made me laugh. However, the scene was much more exciting, interesting, and funny because of the devices I mentioned that the author used.
I am currently reading Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry. It’s about a girl named Kira who had a twisted leg and before she was born her father had died hunting beasts in a field. At the beginning of the book her mother dies from an illness. She has to learn to live on her own and stand up for herself. The part I am at, people want her land because she isn’t doing anything. She takes up a lot of space and eats a lot of food. In this book and in probably all of Lois Lowry’s books, she has many sentences that bring you to a mind movie. I picked an example that stuck out to me. “Only the moon was familiar. Tonight it was almost full, flooding her new living space with silvery light through the glass of her window” (62). I love this quotation; I like it because I like the very strong descriptive words that she has used. I like it because I can feel the words in my own imagination, I can relive her words in my head like a déjà vu moment. The way she writes leaves you breathless. She makes invaluable words valuable. She makes me feel at home.
I can easily visualize the part in my book, All Our Yesterdays, when James is in the hospital waiting for answers about his brother that was shot just a few minuets ago, and how Mariana felt helpless. I can relate to this scene because when my dad’s dad was dying in the hospital he took me with him, and I remember how he was trying so hard not to break down in front of me, and how I felt so helpless. I felt as if there was nothing that I could do to help him, so all I could do was hug him and wait for answers on his dad. Because of my past experience I can picture everything so clearly in my head. Secondly, the author used descriptive verbs like crumbles, burying, glance, feel, and cradled. The author, Cristin Terrill is very descriptive, which makes the scene easy to visualize. An example of this is, “He crumbles forward, burying his face in the place where my shoulder meets my neck, and I fell hot tears against my skin.” The author makes me feel what James is feeling-so heavy and emotional. Overall, the combination of the author’s descriptive scene, and my past experience with my dad, allows me to easily visualize this what’s occurring. Although I haven’t finished the book, from what I’ve read so far I would highly recommend All Our Yesterdays. Thank you for reading my blog!
I am currently reading Bitterblue, by Kristin Cashore. It is the third book in the Graceling Realm series. It is about a girl named Bitterblue who becomes Queen of Monsea, and her advisers control the kingdom for her. She starts to question their decisions, and especially how they dealt with her father's, Leck's, legacy. He was gifted with a grace (power) for mind-altering, and he desired the taste for darkness, violence, and evil. Bitterblue begins to explore Monsea to discover the past so that she can benefit Monsea as she tries to lead it into a great future as Queen. On her journey, she meets two thieves who have obtained the answers and truth of her father's reign as King. One of these thieves is granted with a grace that is to be identified, and the other one captures her heart. This book was very exciting, and was truthfully simple to comprehend what the author was communicating with me. She was very thorough and descriptive throughout her novel. A section of the book supported my understanding and was easy to visualize how the character was feeling. On page 450, Kristin Cashore writes, "They're planning to blackmail you," Saf said. "They want the right to handpick a new prison master... or they'll make it known that the queen had an affair with a Lienid thief..." I cut this phrase to make it easy to touch on specific things. This phrase conveys to me that the people (I do not want to spoil the book for anyone so I will continue to say people) are desperate to gain power over Monsea and they are willing to embarrass their queen to obtain it. Even before the sentences after this that explains how she is feeling, I could envision myself in this situation. I would have been very upset and anxious if I was concealing a secret so deep that would be shared with the people I act as an example for. They would never respect me again. I could feel the emotions Bitterblue would have been having as I read the passage. I felt like I was right there observing what kind of stress that was spreading through her body, and striking her mind in that specific scene. I would not have known how to act, but it is extremely captivating to observe how she deals with this situation that has now surfaced.
I am currently reading Divergent by Veronica Roth, and a scene that stood out to me was in the beginning when Beatrice, the main character, was getting her hair cut by her mom. I feel like the book doesn't start in the conflict which starts later in the book which really shows that the people that stick around are valuable readers. I enjoy this book because it shows that Beatrice is a curious and adventurous and risk taking in looking in the mirror which is like Dauntless.
My Independent reading book has a lot of imagery, and it’s almost like an extremely descriptive movie playing in my head. I have not read much of my independent reading book lately, but my goal is to read more, and I'm looking forward to it. In my independent reading book, Marked (written by P.C. Cast and Kristen Cast), made me feel like all of what I had been reading was imagery. A specific scene where I could really see what was happening, was when Zoey, the protagonist, first entered the House of Night. I loved how the author described the dark walls and the dim lighting. How she described the way Zoey felt through the experience, and how she heard noises while she was walking. I could picture the screams and spooky noises in a creepy house like that. I could easily picture how Zoey reacted to what she saw and heard. I could also imagine what she would have been thinking, knowing that she had never experienced anything like that, and I could relate to what she was feeling. “She must be scared” or “I would have ran in the corner and cried if was in that situation”, were all things that I thought about while reading this scene. I love how the author describes small details, like how the door slams or how halls are barley lit, and it helps the reader fell like their going through the same thing as the character is. I could also relate to this moment in the book, because how the author described the House of Night was almost like the Haunted House at Disney World. If the author feels something while writing the story, chances are the reader will feel something as well.
I am now finishing up the book Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper. I really like this book because it allows you a look through the eyes of our main character Melody. You get see her point of view, you also get to see the way the character deals with their problems. this is all through the author's amazing use of imagery. The way the author describes this makes you feel a part of it, you can see what is going on. Throughout the book there are tons of passages that create these images, all different and all creative. Here is one where melody has just found that she managed to make the quiz team; “The more I think about it, the more excited I get. Television! Pressure! People looking at me! I can feel myself get tense and tight. My arms and legs start doing the tornado spastic dance. My head jerks. I try not to but I screech -just a little.” Just by this little paragraph you can tell she is excited, so excited that her disabilities take over and she starts doing what she calls a ‘tornado’. A ‘tornado’ is a series of uncontrollable movements which happen to melody when she get excited or upset. The way the author described what was going on in Melody’s head and how she reacted to that, was very important. It gives the reader more images of what was going on and the feeling they are in the moment, all this can be shown in this one small paragraph. I will also share another passage that I enjoyed reading, “It’s one of those early november days that an artist would love. red bronze leaves. Bright gold sunlight left over summer.” This is one of those passages that give you exact details to make a more enhanced mind movie, and in this case a very beautiful one. I really enjoyed reading this book and seeing all the pictures it created in my head and if you ever read it I hope you enjoy it too.
I'm am reading a book called My Summer in Pink and Green by Lisa Greenwald. I'm at the beginning right now. There is a scene in the beginning where the main character Lucy is sipping lemonade on the porch with her friends when her sister rolls up in a car with her friends. Lucy runs over to the car with her friends to greet her sister. This makes vivid imagery for me because it shows a girl running with sweet lemonade to this car to her sister. I have done this before so it's easier for me to imagine this.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI haven't gotten to read as much of my independent reading book as I would have liked to, so I hope this weekend I will get to read more. In my book, Dancer, Daughter, Traitor, Spy by Elizabeth Kiem, one of my favorite imagery scenes is when Marina is describing what it is like to live in her new apartment in New York. When she looks around the living room in her apartment she describes it as "half the size of her old bedroom." I can really see her standing in a small cramped apartment/room, then when she hits play on the boom box I can see her walking over and pressing the play button. A quote that kind of finishes this whole scene unravel before my eyes is " I press PLAY. The music doesn't really boom. It envelops me like a blanket that I want to pull over my head." That is one of my favorite quotes because I can see her sitting on the couch listening to music while thinking about the life she left behind and her kind of staring out into space wondering what is happening in Moscow right now. I can connect with her because I often get lost in my favorite songs and favorite artist like she did and I also think about my life choices and whether or not I think they were my best option.
ReplyDeleteTitle: Animal Farm
ReplyDeleteAuthor: George Orwell
A scene which you can easily visualize is the scene when the animals start a harvest after Napoleon becomes the leader of the Animal Farm.
Animals waking up to the loud, honk-like sound of Squealer’s alarm is easy to imagine. The animals living on the Animal Farm start their work on the windmill and the harvest to be prepared for winter. While the animals work, they face many obstacles such as cracking the rocks, but the animals overcome their problems by sharing their brilliant, spark-like ideas to solve them. Collecting small rocks to add on to the windmill, animals start to get exhausted. However, they depend on each other to finish the task remembering the maxim, “Work harder”(74). Tired, but trying their best under Napoleon and Squealer’s supervision and leadership, the animals get more encouraged. Especially Boxer, a strong male work horse, shoulders most of the heavy tasks compared to other animals. He does all the hard tasks that some of the animals would not risk themselves to do. With the hard work of Boxer and the other animals on the farm, the day quickly passes and night falls on the farm.
This scene of Animal Farm by George Orwell, helps you to visualize an image of the animals working hard to make the farm more successful.
I'm reading a book called Boundless, and it is by Kenneth Oppel. It is a book about a group of railroad employees trying to get the dead railroad owners fortune, and the main character, who's name is Will, has the only key to the room where the railroad owners valuables are. A scene I can easily visualize is when the main character is walking through the woods, and sees one of the rebelling employees pinning the guard to the vault that holds the key too the fortune, and killing him because. But, at this time, the guard was drunk and had dropped the key, and the main character found it. Now the rebelling employees are after the main character. This scene was easy to visualize, because the author describes how when Will shouted to the rebelling employee, "I have the key," that his face turned red and he thrusted himself towards Will. The author also described how the knife was drawn out, and how it was buried into the employee's neck, with almost a little to much detail. I am really enjoying this book and it was hard for me to choose just one part, because the entire book has so much detail.
ReplyDeleteI'm reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman. One of the scenes that I can easily visualize is when Risa and Connor are put in yet another safe house.
ReplyDelete"Finally, they're dumped in a huge, empty warehouse in a thundering air-traffic zone. Cheap realty for hiding unwanted kids. It's a spartan building with a corrugated steel roof that shakes so badly when a plane passes overhead she half expects it to collapse"(Shusterman 141).
Shusterman helps me visualize this scene by adding lots of details to the description of the safe house. In my mind, I can clearly see the huge, plain warehouse with a shaking roof.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI just finished reading Maze Runner by James Dashner. The book is full of good imagery, but one part I could really visualize is when Thomas saw Ben during the Changing. James Dashner describes Ben's symptoms extensively, "Tight, rigid cords of sickly green veins webbed across the boy's body, and limbs like ropes under his skin." (25 Kindle). This gives me the picture of a boy lying in a bed with green veins showing through his skin. James Dashner describes this scene very well and what helped me understand this sentence is his use of very descriptive words, and it gives me a very detailed understanding what the Changing looks like.
ReplyDeleteI am still reading Alex Rider Point Blank by Anthony Horowitz because I haven't had much time lately to read. In the book, I can easily visualize the action-packed scene when Alex Rider is being interrogated by on of the French Ladies in his latest mission. The author helps me visualize how the French Lady asks him numerous questions and Alex Rider frantically trying to remember what was in the document that the head of M16 gave him with all the details that he was supposed to remember.
ReplyDeleteI am reading the book Four by Veronica Roth. I can easily visualize one of the scenes at the beginning of The Initiate. In this scene Four says how the training room smells like sweat, shoes, and dust. He also says that every time he punches at the punching bag his knuckles sting because fighting people during initiation has made them spit. I can visualize this scene very well for two reasons. One is the author does a really good job describing surroundings. The second reason is because I have read the entire Divergent series plus I saw the movie so I didn't need the author to describe what the training room looked like. In this scene I can picture Four standing in the middle of the training room punching a punching bag and gritting his teeth every time his knuckles and the punching bag connect.
ReplyDeleteHow do you imagine it? Do you put yourself in his shoes, or do you imagine yourself standing somewhere else watching him?
DeleteI recently re-read the book if i stay by Gayle Forman, and since I am not too far into my current independent reading book, I decided to pick a couple scenes from this one instead. The first scene I picked was the one where Mia described how she looked after her audition for Juilliard. She described herself as, "Panting, and my legs shaking from pressing together so hard."(p.6). I could easily fix that image of her in my head and I thought that description (though short) was true and sums up how a person feels after a grueling performance, because that is how I feel after playing in a piano competition or jury. The second scene that provided an excellent visual, was the scene of the car crash. Though there were many amazing lines written to describe this scene, my favorite was this one, "There was so much noise. A symphony of grinding, a chorus of popping, an aria of exploding, and finally, the sad clapping of hard metal cutting into soft trees." That was a vivid description of not only what happened and how it looked, but also how it sounded. I felt as though I was actually there, experiencing what the characters experienced.
ReplyDeleteRight now I am reading “The Count of Monte Cristo” by Alexandre Dumas. The book is about Edmond Dantes, who is wrongly accused and thrown into prison for fourteen years, when he escapes and sets out to exact revenge against the three men who threw him in prison - starting with a man named Danglars.
ReplyDeleteSince his imprisonment, Danglars had built up an enormous fortune in 19th century Paris. Edmond, disguised as “The Count of Monte Cristo,” uses a few well-placed telegraph messages to destroy Danglars’ bonds at the stock exchange, and causes him to go broke. All of this leads up to that scene which I can easily visualize: when Danglars takes out his anger on his wife. His objective throughout the scene is to make himself feel as though his wife’s bad sense had ruined him, and hers was to keep her supply of money coming from her husband. The author made excellent use of insults to convey the characters’ emotions (“'You money-minded fool!’ yelled Madame Danglars.”).
I also enjoyed the author’s use of descriptive adjectives in setting up the scene, where a room in an opulent mansion is described as dingy and gaudy because of the moods of Danglars and his wife, which definitely gave me a more vivid picture of the scene. I also liked the descriptions of the characters’ faces (“Danglars’ face turned as red as a turnip”) and Madame Danglars’ monologue about what would happen to her wardrobe if her husband stopped giving her money. After throwing Edmond into prison, they definitely deserved this, and the scene made me laugh. However, the scene was much more exciting, interesting, and funny because of the devices I mentioned that the author used.
I am currently reading Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry. It’s about a girl named Kira who had a twisted leg and before she was born her father had died hunting beasts in a field. At the beginning of the book her mother dies from an illness. She has to learn to live on her own and stand up for herself. The part I am at, people want her land because she isn’t doing anything. She takes up a lot of space and eats a lot of food. In this book and in probably all of Lois Lowry’s books, she has many sentences that bring you to a mind movie. I picked an example that stuck out to me. “Only the moon was familiar. Tonight it was almost full, flooding her new living space with silvery light through the glass of her window” (62). I love this quotation; I like it because I like the very strong descriptive words that she has used. I like it because I can feel the words in my own imagination, I can relive her words in my head like a déjà vu moment. The way she writes leaves you breathless. She makes invaluable words valuable. She makes me feel at home.
ReplyDeleteI can easily visualize the part in my book, All Our Yesterdays, when James is in the hospital waiting for answers about his brother that was shot just a few minuets ago, and how Mariana felt helpless. I can relate to this scene because when my dad’s dad was dying in the hospital he took me with him, and I remember how he was trying so hard not to break down in front of me, and how I felt so helpless. I felt as if there was nothing that I could do to help him, so all I could do was hug him and wait for answers on his dad. Because of my past experience I can picture everything so clearly in my head. Secondly, the author used descriptive verbs like crumbles, burying, glance, feel, and cradled. The author, Cristin Terrill is very descriptive, which makes the scene easy to visualize. An example of this is, “He crumbles forward, burying his face in the place where my shoulder meets my neck, and I fell hot tears against my skin.” The author makes me feel what James is feeling-so heavy and emotional. Overall, the combination of the author’s descriptive scene, and my past experience with my dad, allows me to easily visualize this what’s occurring. Although I haven’t finished the book, from what I’ve read so far I would highly recommend All Our Yesterdays. Thank you for reading my blog!
ReplyDeleteI am currently reading Bitterblue, by Kristin Cashore. It is the third book in the Graceling Realm series. It is about a girl named Bitterblue who becomes Queen of Monsea, and her advisers control the kingdom for her. She starts to question their decisions, and especially how they dealt with her father's, Leck's, legacy. He was gifted with a grace (power) for mind-altering, and he desired the taste for darkness, violence, and evil. Bitterblue begins to explore Monsea to discover the past so that she can benefit Monsea as she tries to lead it into a great future as Queen. On her journey, she meets two thieves who have obtained the answers and truth of her father's reign as King. One of these thieves is granted with a grace that is to be identified, and the other one captures her heart. This book was very exciting, and was truthfully simple to comprehend what the author was communicating with me. She was very thorough and descriptive throughout her novel. A section of the book supported my understanding and was easy to visualize how the character was feeling. On page 450, Kristin Cashore writes, "They're planning to blackmail you," Saf said. "They want the right to handpick a new prison master... or they'll make it known that the queen had an affair with a Lienid thief..." I cut this phrase to make it easy to touch on specific things. This phrase conveys to me that the people (I do not want to spoil the book for anyone so I will continue to say people) are desperate to gain power over Monsea and they are willing to embarrass their queen to obtain it. Even before the sentences after this that explains how she is feeling, I could envision myself in this situation. I would have been very upset and anxious if I was concealing a secret so deep that would be shared with the people I act as an example for. They would never respect me again. I could feel the emotions Bitterblue would have been having as I read the passage. I felt like I was right there observing what kind of stress that was spreading through her body, and striking her mind in that specific scene. I would not have known how to act, but it is extremely captivating to observe how she deals with this situation that has now surfaced.
ReplyDeleteI am currently reading Divergent by Veronica Roth, and a scene that stood out to me was in the beginning when Beatrice, the main character, was getting her hair cut by her mom. I feel like the book doesn't start in the conflict which starts later in the book which really shows that the people that stick around are valuable readers. I enjoy this book because it shows that Beatrice is a curious and adventurous and risk taking in looking in the mirror which is like Dauntless.
ReplyDeleteMy Independent reading book has a lot of imagery, and it’s almost like an extremely descriptive movie playing in my head. I have not read much of my independent reading book lately, but my goal is to read more, and I'm looking forward to it. In my independent reading book, Marked (written by P.C. Cast and Kristen Cast), made me feel like all of what I had been reading was imagery. A specific scene where I could really see what was happening, was when Zoey, the protagonist, first entered the House of Night. I loved how the author described the dark walls and the dim lighting. How she described the way Zoey felt through the experience, and how she heard noises while she was walking. I could picture the screams and spooky noises in a creepy house like that. I could easily picture how Zoey reacted to what she saw and heard. I could also imagine what she would have been thinking, knowing that she had never experienced anything like that, and I could relate to what she was feeling. “She must be scared” or “I would have ran in the corner and cried if was in that situation”, were all things that I thought about while reading this scene. I love how the author describes small details, like how the door slams or how halls are barley lit, and it helps the reader fell like their going through the same thing as the character is. I could also relate to this moment in the book, because how the author described the House of Night was almost like the Haunted House at Disney World. If the author feels something while writing the story, chances are the reader will feel something as well.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI am now finishing up the book Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper. I really like this book because it allows you a look through the eyes of our main character Melody. You get see her point of view, you also get to see the way the character deals with their problems. this is all through the author's amazing use of imagery. The way the author describes this makes you feel a part of it, you can see what is going on. Throughout the book there are tons of passages that create these images, all different and all creative. Here is one where melody has just found that she managed to make the quiz team; “The more I think about it, the more excited I get. Television! Pressure! People looking at me! I can feel myself get tense and tight. My arms and legs start doing the tornado spastic dance. My head jerks. I try not to but I screech -just a little.” Just by this little paragraph you can tell she is excited, so excited that her disabilities take over and she starts doing what she calls a ‘tornado’. A ‘tornado’ is a series of uncontrollable movements which happen to melody when she get excited or upset. The way the author described what was going on in Melody’s head and how she reacted to that, was very important. It gives the reader more images of what was going on and the feeling they are in the moment, all this can be shown in this one small paragraph. I will also share another passage that I enjoyed reading, “It’s one of those early november days that an artist would love. red bronze leaves. Bright gold sunlight left over summer.” This is one of those passages that give you exact details to make a more enhanced mind movie, and in this case a very beautiful one. I really enjoyed reading this book and seeing all the pictures it created in my head and if you ever read it I hope you enjoy it too.
ReplyDelete